Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Welcome!

My name is Maddie Abbs and I am a freshman attending Washburn University. You might think that I'm just like every other Washburn student, but think again. There are a select few, some call us the elites, the best of the best, while others call us crazy...

That's right. We are student-athletes. Don't just call us athletes or jocks, because coach will get mad (and I don't know about you, but I'd rather not find out what'll happen). We are students first, athletes second. Because of this glorious title we are required to work extremely hard not just on the field, but in the classroom as well.

Ever since the dodge ball days, I've been one of the most competitive kids in my grade. With my competitiveness came the drive to try all kinds of activities! I've been a dancer, volleyball player, gymnast, cross-country runner, basketball player, and last but definitely not least softball player.

You may be wondering by now 'why is this girl blabbering about sports and all that crap? Who does she think she is?'


Photo Credit: Maddie Abbs

Honestly, I'm here because of my Mass Media class. My fabulous teacher gave us an assignment to create our own blog, and somehow fill it with our ideas. I'm not into cars, or video games, and I can hardly do my own makeup, let alone tell the world wide web how to. 'How about a blog about my life?' I asked myself. Instead of just telling you that I ate a bowl of cereal for breakfast and psychology class was boring, I've decided to fill it with all kinds of stories about being a student-athlete. FUN RIGHT?!

I got the most incredible opportunity for the next four years to play softball here at WU and I'd like to tell you all about it! Here you will find stories of waking up at 5 am for workouts, trying to eat healthy in the caf, being the new kids on campus, practicing in the blazing sun and all of the crazy stories in between.

If you ever find yourself needing a good laugh check back here for some embarrassing stories, ridiculous pictures, and the in's and out's of a student-athlete!

P.S. I'm the one on the right (:

No comments:

Post a Comment