Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Study Table Struggles-Part 2

As finals are approaching, teachers are more and more pushy about getting our assignments finished and turned in on time. Because of this pushiness, it is almost like we are all resisting their authority and waiting until the last minute to finish our papers and projects that were assigned early in the semester.

As the semester has progressed it has been easy to log hours at study tables because we lose focus so quickly. Just last night my roommate and I planned on working out, grabbing a quick bite to eat, and spending the entire night in the library focused on our studies.

Recently, my teachers have been assigning busy work to fill the time before finals. While this may sound like easy things to do it is absolutely pointless! If you're going to make me sit here and work one something irrelevant to what we're learning then you're crazy! I would rather spend that time working on studying for my finals early while I have time.

Instead of spending the night focused in the library like we'd planned we sat there talking about foods we didn't like, looking up YouTube videos, and drawing all over the whiteboard. By the time 9 o'clock rolled around we realized how much time we spent messing around. I had a paper and a take home test to finish, and as for Savannah, she had 2 papers and Stats homework to do.

Overcome by lack of sleep, fear of failure, and a sugar high, I was able to snap back into focus mode and knock out my assignments in just over 2 hours.

If I could come to the library with that kind of energized focus every day all of my homework would get done in the quickest amount of time possible. There would be no more procrastinating for me.

Hopefully when success week and finals week get here I'll be able to control my focus and get everything done before the due dates!

2 comments:

  1. I have read that the fear of failure is the number one thing on a first year college students mind. I can absolutely say that I have felt it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Busy annoys the living crap out of me. I called a teacher out on it and she became very angry, and we ended up getting more..

    ReplyDelete