Sunday, October 19, 2014

Homecoming Horrors

This week is homecoming week for Washburn University and each day has been filled with some kind of fun campus activity. From decorating things like cakes, top hats, doors and posters, to students running the Ichabod race, as well as many others.

Because of our odd schedules, most athletes, at least the softball team, really only got to participate in one event called Yell Like Hell. It is a special night when fraternities, sororities, athletic teams, and teachers all create and perform their own dance.

This year the athletic teams that were involved consisted of the softball team, the baseball team, the volleyball team, and the girls soccer team. Each group had to make up and perform a dance around 2-4 minutes long and come up with a cheer to do involving the crowd.

I really hadn't thought much about it at first. I thought to myself  "Oh yeah, we will probably just do some easy dance moves and call it good.". But boy was I wrong. We created a killer mix tape and along with some help from a friend, choreographed a routine that was sure to win.
Instead of going over the dance a few times, we had scheduled dance practices after softball practice this week. Not exactly what I wanted to do after a 4 hour practice, but oh well.

Last night was our chance to perform. I walked in expecting to see maybe 50 people, but the gym was packed, not an empty seat in sight. We weren't first to go out, so I thought I had time to calm my nerves. Before we knew it, we were out of our seats getting ready to go out.

My heart was pounding out of my chest, and I was dripping with sweat. As we walked out onto the court I could feel my body shaking with fear as we faced the crowd. They told us all week long to have fun with this dance and don't worry about the crowd. I tried to take a deep breath and relax, but it was too late. The music had started and we were off.

For some strange reason I don't remember doing the dance. I remember walking out onto the court and getting into places and our end pose, but nothing in between.

I felt a huge sigh of relief after we finished knowing that all that extra time we spent practicing was worth it. A friend of ours recorded the whole thing and we looked great! Everyone was in the right spot and for the most part hit each step. We were even able to get the back flip! I'm so happy that I was able to be a part of this crazy experience and I can't wait for next year's Yell Like Hell!
Photo Credit: Maddie Abbs



2 comments:

  1. That's so cool! Wish I'd been able to attend. You should post the video of your dance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sooooo pissed that I missed it this year! That way, I could have critiqued you in class ;) I bet it was fun!

    ReplyDelete