Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Dealing with Dorm Life

Before I arrived at school, I was oddly excited to live in the dorms. I finally have my own space, although much smaller than normal, the cute little desk, the dreaded twin bunk, and a closet much smaller than my own. But don't worry, I think I've figured out how to organize my stuff.

I was also really excited to have a roommate! I have had my own room since I can remember, besides my sister occasionally sneaking in to steal my clothes, so living with a stranger was thrilling to me.

Here's a pic of my roommates (Bottom left, middle, and top right)
Photo Credit: Maddie Abbs

I was blessed because I love each of my roommates. We are all freshmen on the softball team and thankfully none of us play the same positions. So far, everyone keeps their space organized and we all pitch in and clean when we have to. Hopefully there wont be any issues in our room!

Along with the perks of living in the dorms, like closeness to campus, your own space, and others, there are also some drawbacks.

Because we live above the main floor, there always seems to be a million stairs we have to climb, and after weights or practice that is the last thing I want to do.

Our hall is filled with all kinds of different people, and while this may sound like a good thing, it actually isn't the most ideal living situation.


Because we have people from all walks of life, they all wake up and go to sleep when they please. They like to leave whatever they were doing the night before out in the hall for the janitors in the morning.

It feels like our entire hall is out in the lobby, playing music, shouting, and banging on the walls until the early hours of the morning. When we have to be up at 5 am, 3 times a week, it is absolutely safe to say that we are all up earlier before them. While they have the luxury of sleeping in, we will have been awake for hours, worked out, ate breakfast, showered, and headed to class, all before their alarm went off.

After my morning classes, I usually come back to take a nap, and by then most of those night owls are finally rolling out of bed.

Later that day, dressed in my practice uniform ready to go, I always get the question "Do you have practice?", with which I calmly reply yes, instead of what I'd like to say, "NO I ENJOY WEARING THESE BAGGY SOFTBALL PANTS AND LONG SOCKS AND SMELLY T-SHIRT AND GROSS TENNIS SHOES FOR FUN."

I'm excited to see what kind of adventures and stories the rest of my dorm life will entail and I'll be sure to let you guys know!


1 comment:

  1. You are really lucky, I've had friends that had cops called on them by there roommates because they were trying to get each other kicked out.

    ReplyDelete