Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Giant Gulp of Gatorade

Ever since our days of little league baseball, or our first days on the field as a soccer player, Gatorade has always been there for us. I know it kind of sounds like I'm talking about a dependable, old friend, not a bottle of bright colored liquid, but after 4 hours on the field Gatorade is my BEST friend.

It was created in 1965, after the Florida Gators Football coach wondered why his players were dropping like flies in the sticky, Florida heat. Researchers found that the water the athletes were drinking didn't replace the electrolytes or carbohydrates they needed.

It seems to me like everyone, not just athletes, refers to Gatorade by it's color, not flavor. As weird as this is, during a game I'll ask for a "blue one" and my mom will know exactly what flavor to get.

When I was younger I loved seeing the Gatorade commercials on TV. Seeing all kind of different professional athletes compete, take a sip, and then sweat out the color of Gatorade they were drinking. I thought it was actually made to do this, only to be disappointed when I didn't see any blue beads of sweat rolling down my face at practice the next day.

I searched the other night for 3 hours to show you guys a video of what I'm talking about, but I could only find a picture. (I know this isn't the best quality, but it was the best I could find)


While I was searching for one of these photos I came across the Gatorade YouTube channel. They have been recently making videos titled "Sweat It to Get It", meaning you must/have been sweating and working out in order to buy a Gatorade at the gas station shown. 

I HIGHLY encourage clicking play below and watching a few of these. They are hilarious! 


1 comment:

  1. I'm not going to lie, I only know the flavors by color too. I played a lot of basketball when I was a kid and I remember asking my teammates if I had purple sweat coming out of my face because I always had the purple Gatorade.

    ReplyDelete